Bathroom Design Articles
With a click, you can link to the individual articles listed at the right.
Assembling this library has been a "labor of love" and I am pleased to offer this content to all.
If you have any questions or comments about the content of this library and/or general questions about home renovation, please schedule a conversation.
Regards, Edward Kaplan
- 4 Bathroom Organization Ideas
Bringing order to our lives through the spaces we live in has become a hot topic of late.
- Planning Your Master Bathroom: 7 Design Details to Consider
An architect shares his ideas for making an en-suite bathroom feel luxurious and comfortable
- Is a Wall- or Floor-Mount Vanity Right for Your Next Bath?
Of all of the choices a designer has to make for a bathroom, the decision between using a traditional floor-mount vanity or a more contemporary wall-mount unit is one of the biggest.
- 10 Bathroom Trends From the Kitchen and Bathroom Industry Show
A designer and his team hit the industry's biggest show to spot bathroom ideas with lasting appeal
- Post-KonMari: How to Organize Your Bathroom Storage
Find out which items to keep in a medicine cabinet or drawer and which to store on an open shelf
- 7 Tips for Better Bathroom Lighting
Use these detailed guidelines to avoid common mistakes.
- 8 Bathroom Mirror Ideas You Might Not Have Thought Of
Consider these solutions for awkward layouts or to just bring a little fun
- Is It Over for Subway Tile?
Should we ditch the ubiquitous rows of rectangles for a rival, or is subway tile a classic that's here to stay?
- Homeowners Splurge on Master Bath Shower Features, Study Finds
From square footage to faucets, the Houzz Bathroom Trends Study reveals statement showers are on the rise
- Trending Now: The 20 Most Popular New Bathrooms of 2017
Smart storage, warm finishes, clear glass, tiled walls and other favorite bath details grew in popularity this year
- What to Know About Bathroom Chandeliers
Renovating your bathroom and seeking an elegant look? Find out if a chandelier could work for your space
- How to Design a Sleek, Modern Bathroom
Learn which vanities, lighting, materials and other elements to include
- A Warm, Elegant and Highly Functional Master Bath
A designer fits dual sinks, a dressing table, a washer-dryer and scads of storage into a couple’s New York bathroom
- How to Choose Your Bathroom Vanity Lighting
Get tips on sconces, pendants, chandeliers, LEDs and pot lights — and find out where to place them for the best lighting
- How to Choose a Bathroom Mirror
See yourself in the best light with a bathroom mirror that’s properly sized, placed and illuminated
- Data Watch: Homeowners on Keeping — or Ditching — the Master Tub
Our 2017 U.S. bathroom trends study shows that some owners upgrade their tubs, while a sizable number bid them goodbye
- Choose the Tile That’s Right for Your Room
Gloss, matte, glazed, metallic, terra cotta and more: Each has its own look and characteristics
- 7 Bathroom Design Tips
Raise your bathroom's design IQ with smart new trends and technologies.
- 5 Ways to Bring Tech to Your Bathroom
When you hear the word “wired” what comes to mind?
- Sound Advice for the Bathroom
Smartphones. Tablets. MP3 players. We live plugged in. And, inevitably, we’re getting smarter about how we use digital and mobile technologies, especially in the home.
- Before and After: 6 Bathrooms That Said Goodbye to the Tub
Sleek showers replaced tub-shower combos in these bathroom remodels. Could this be an option for you?
- Photo Flip: 102 Eye-Popping Powder Rooms
Flip through our collection of beautiful powder rooms on Houzz and fill your eyes with color and style
- Photo Flip: 50 Showers That Create a Splash
Find fresh inspiration in these bathrooms with mosaic and large-format tiles, pebble flooring and more
- Why Marble Might Be Wrong for Your Bathroom
You love its beauty and instant high-quality appeal, but bathroom marble has its drawbacks. Here's what to know before you buy
- 9 Surprising Considerations for a Bathroom Remodel
Don't even pick up a paint chip before you take these bathroom remodel aspects into account
- Bath Remodeling? So, Where to Put the Toilet?
There's a lot to consider: paneling, baseboards, shower door. Before you install the toilet, get situated with these tips
- Wood in the Bathroom? Absolutely!
Wet places and wood can be a match made in design heaven - see great examples and get tips for sealing and installing bathroom wood here
- 5 Common Bathroom Design Mistakes to Avoid
Get your bath right for the long haul by dodging these blunders in toilet placement, shower type and more
- Design an Easy-Clean Bathroom
These ingenious strategies and sleek designs for the sink, tub, shower and toilet help your bathroom practically clean itself
- Bathroom Workbook: 12 Things to Consider for Your Remodel
Maybe a tub doesn't float your boat, but having no threshold is a no-brainer. These points to ponder will help you plan
- Bathroom Workbook: How Much Does a Bathroom Remodel Cost?
Learn what features to expect for $3,000 to $100,000-plus, to help you plan your bathroom remodel
- Bathroom Workbook: 8 Elements of Contemporary Style
Does a sharp, clean and uncluttered bathroom sound good to you? If so, a contemporary design could be the key
- How to Childproof Your Bathroom
Just add water, and the dangers to a child greatly increase. Learn how to keep wee ones safe during bath time and more
- Design Basics to Help You Think Through a New Master Bath
These standard dimensions and layout tips can help you plan the deluxe bathroom of your dreams
- Key Measurements to Make the Most of Your Bathroom
Fit everything comfortably in a small or medium-size bath by knowing standard dimensions for fixtures and clearances
- Bathroom Workbook: 6 Elements of Eclectic Style
Express your unique self by mixing styles, eras and more, for a bathroom that's full of personality
- Bathroom Workbook: 8 Elements of Traditional Style
Pay homage to olden days in a bath filled with ornate details, soft colors and antique details
- Bathroom Workbook: 13 Elements of Asian Style
Create a soothing, spa-like bath with simple materials and a deep connection to nature
- Bathroom Workbook: 8 Elements of Beachy Style
Use seaside colors, raw finishes, and coastal accessories to conjure the perfect outing in your indoor bath
- Bathroom Workbook: 7 Elements of a Craftsman Style
If you like a handmade look and simple materials, this style is tailor made for your bath
- Bathroom Workbook: 8 Elements of Farmhouse Style
Go simple, re-purposed and vintage for a farmhouse-style bathroom with the comforts of today
- Bathroom Workbook: 10 Elements of Industrial Style
Turn your bath into a captain of industry with raw materials, exposed plumbing and a focus on functionality
- Bathroom Workbook: The Right Height for Your Sinks, Mirrors and More
Making some bathroom upgrades? Here's how to place all your main features for the most comfortable, personalized fit
- A Designer Shares Her Master-Bathroom Wish List
She's planning her own renovation and daydreaming about what to include. What amenities are must-haves in your remodel or new build?
- Bathroom Workbook: 7 Natural Stones With Enduring Beauty
Not everyone wants a marble bath. Bring organic warmth to yur bath counters, walls or floors with these hard-wearing alternatives
- Bathroom Workbook: 7 Elements of Modern Mediterranean Flavor
Learn how to bring this warm and richly detailed style into your bath with color, lighting and accessories
- 10 Tricks to Help Your Bathroom Sell Your House
As with the kitchen, the bathroom is always a high priority for home buyers. Here's how to showcase your bathroom so it looks its best
- Bathroom Countertops 101: The Top Surface Materials
Explore the pros and cons of 7 popular bathroom countertop materials
- Homeowner's Workbook: How to Remodel Your Bathroom
Create a vision, make a budget, choose your style and materials, hire the right professionals, and get it done on time
- 18 Dream Items to Punch Up a Master-Bath Wish List
A designer shared features she'd love to include in her own bathroom remodel. Houzz readers responded with their top amenities. Take a look
- 5 Ways With an 8-by-5-Foot Bathroom
Look to these bathroom makeovers to learn about budgets, special features, splurging, saving and more
- Here's (Not) Looking at Loo, Kid: 12 Toilet Privacy Options
Make sharing a bathroom easier with screens, walls and double-duty barriers that offer a little more privacy for you
- 8 Luxury-Loving Master Bathroom Fireplaces
Pamper yourself at bath time by bringing in the mesmerizing view and lovely warth of a flicking fire
- Bathroom Workbook: How to Get Your Vanity Lighting Right
Learn how to illuminate your bathroom mirror so you can put your best face forward each day
- 10 Ways to Create More Bathroom Storage
See the many options for stowing your toiletries, tissues and towels
- Bungalow Bathroom Gains New Accessibility
Better design and functionality make life easier for a homeowner in a wheelchair
- Liberate Your Bathroom With a Freestanding Bathtub
Free up the design options for your bathroom with a claw-foot, pedestal or soaking tub that doesn't require a wall
- Dreaming of a Spa Tub at Home? Read This Pro Advice First
Before you float away on visions of jets and bubbles and the steamiest water around, consider these very real spa tub issues
- 19 Dream Tubs for Bath Lovers
Pour a Glass of Wine and Sink Into One of These Unusual, Luxurious Bathtubs
- 5 Hot Tips for Home Saunas
Bask in your very own heated haven, indoors or out. This overview will get you off to a glowing start
- Steam Showers Bring a Beloved Spa Feature Home
Get the benefits of a time-honored ritual without firing up the coals, thanks to easier-than-ever home steam systems
- 8 Tips for Creating Your Own Wetroom
Warm up a room full of tile with color, light, texture and wood
- Meet the New Super Toilets
With features you never knew you needed, these toilets may make it hard to go back to standard commodes
- Medicine Cabinets: Should You Get a Recessed or Wall-Mounted Style?
Here’s what you need to know to pick the right medicine cabinet and get it installed
- Lovely Little Luxuries: Pamper Yourself With Towel Warmers
Heat your robes, dry delicates and wet mittens — with these warmers around, toasty treats go beyond just towels
- Take a Seat at the Vanity
Get Ready for Your Day at One of These Dressing Tables
- How to Light Your Bathroom Right
Get ready for your close-up in a bath that's a sanctuary with task, accent, decorative and ambient lighting
- So You Want a Bathroom Television
Whether you want to wash with soap operas or primp with prime time, these guidelines for installing a TV in the bathroom can help
- 13 Design-Friendly Storage Solutions for the Bathroom
The secret to tidy towels and beautifully organized bottles? The right storage, of course.
- 10 Design Moves From Tricked-Out Bathrooms
Cool splurges: Get ideas for a bathroom upgrade from these clever bathroom cabinet additions
- Bathroom Storage: Where to Keep the T.P.?
The Houzz community steps in with 18 tidy toilet paper storage solutions
- Family Friendly Bathroom
Classic neutral tones paint a relaxing environment in this family bathroom.
- Teak Textures Bathroom
Natural choices for water-rich environments, teak and stone bring a sense of serenity and connection with the outside world into the bathing and showering space.
- Carmel Seaside Bathroom
Soft, fresh-from-nature hues mix with warm woods in a bath whose style and sensibility are born of the sea.
- The Black Bathroom Trend
3 ways to get inspired
- The Playful Pattern Bathroom
3 ways to get inspired
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Designing Your Bathroom Vanity
Follow this 6-step plan to choose your vanity’s layout, style, countertop, fixtures and more
- Vanities That Pack a Storage Punch
Get ideas for your powder room or bath from stylish vanities with great under-sink storage
- Bathroom Design: Getting Tile Around the Vanity Right
Prevent water damage and get a seamless look with these pro tips for tiling under and around a bathroom vanity
- 15 Refreshing Ideas for a Bathroom Makeover
These days there are more ways than ever to give your bath a splash of style
- Bathroom Backsplashes Make a Style Statement
Be inspired to turn this small bathroom detail into a big design feature.
- Bathroom Collections
A simple design solution
- Bath Design: Aging Gracefully
With a goal to remain in their own homes as long as possible, savvy seniors and smart baby boomers are remodeling their baths to support “aging in place” well into their advanced years
- Bathroom Trends: Open Vanity Storage
Give Your Bath Functional Storage and Extra Style Points, Too
- The Art of Designing A Timeless Bathroom
Elegant, historic and traditional, classic bathrooms are always on-trend. And today’s vintage-style bath products work as beautifully as they look, so you don’t have to sacrifice performance
- Convert Your Tub Space to a Shower — the Planning Phase
Step 1 in swapping your tub for a sleek new shower: Get all the remodel details down on paper
- Convert Your Tub Space to a Shower — the Fixtures-Shopping Phase
Step 2 in swapping your tub for a sleek new shower: Determine your mechanical needs and buy quality fixtures
- Convert Your Tub Space Into a Shower — the Tiling and Grouting Phase
Step 3 in swapping your tub for a sleek new shower: Pick the right tile and test it out, then choose your grout color and type
- Designing the Perfect Powder Room
Thanks to its petite size – 4 by 5 feet on average – a half-bath can often be one of the least expensive rooms in the house to renovate.